Friday, February 27, 2009

2/27/09

Racial Stereotypes in the Media

02-26-09- CNN – 10:00 p.m.

Television

Black America 2

The panel discussed how there are not enough black finance bankers and how young black children believe they have to grow up to be a rapper, athlete, or entertainer to be successful. America needs to show the success of African Americans in a different light.

(1) Racial Stereotypes

02-26-09- VH1-10:45 p.m.

Television

Black to the Future 90’s Edition

Panel discussed successful black entertainers; contradicting with the CNN observation.

(2) Racial Stereotypes

02-24-09- ABC- 10:00 a.m.

Television

The View

The ladies of The View discussed President Obama and racial issues

(3) Racial Stereotypes

02-18-09- Human Sexuality- 3523 12:30 p.m.

Class Discussion with Professor Terry Dennison-Huston Huffman

Discussion of racial and cultural impacts on sexuality

(4) Racial Stereotypes

02-24-09- Lifetime- 11:30 p.m.

Television

Will & Grace

Racial stereotypes of Jewish people

(5) Racial Stereotypes

Gender Stereotypes in the Media

02-25-09- Comedy Central- 10:30 p.m.

Television

The Daily Show

Gender discrimination and stereotypes of Hillary Clinton

(1) Gender Stereotypes

02-25-09- Bravo- 12:00 a.m.

Television

Million Dollar Matchmaker

Gender stereotypes of females lusting after rich men

(2) Gender Stereotypes

02-20-09- Advertising Campaigns- 4343- 10:30

Television Advertisement/ Class Discussion

Class discussion on new ads/ discussed the Go Daddy.com Enhancement Ad

(3) Gender Stereotypes

02-23-09- Human Sexuality- 3523 12:30

Class Discussion

Class discussion on gender roles, gender norms, and gender stereotypes

(4) Gender Stereotypes

02-27-09- Glamour Magazine- February 2009

Magazine Article

The article was a self help to women on how to get men to notice you

(5) Gender Stereotypes

Reflections:

I was not surprised that stereotypes exist in the media. I knew stereotypes existed and I knew they were present in the media, but I definitely did not realize how prominent and blatant they appeared. At first, I thought this assignment would be hard. I thought I would have to look through several different mediums to find stereotypes, but it was exactly the opposite.

When my class discussed racial stereotypes I always understood how and why people used them, but I never felt offense to them because they never really effected me because of my white race, but when we turned the subject to gender stereotypes I took personal offense to the female discrimination in the media. It is easy for me to see the gender stereotypes present in advertising. Stereotypes are everywhere in advertising. Stereotypes are something everyone can identify with and when selling a product it is important to identify with the consumer.

I, without a doubt, now understand how continuous images can shape opinions and perspectives. Stereotypes that are continuously reinforced by the media shape the way children perceive races. When a white child is constantly exposed to stereotypes of African Americans their perspectives of that particular race will be skewed. The same thing goes for gender stereotypes. Boys and girls that are exposed repeatedly to the same types of stereotypes form unrealistic expectations for their lives. For example, a girl that is taught that finding a man is the primary goal and beauty the secondary goal becomes consumed with these two things. She will likely have body image issues. In my human sexuality class, my teacher lectured that a young child exposed to several hours of television tend to have more self image issues and low self-esteem than those who see little television.

Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR5xbvSDLn4&feature=PlayList&p=D5F65736F51FA5C6&playnext=1&index=67

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/black.in.america/

7 comments:

  1. What did you mean when you said you took no offense because they were not directed at me based on your race?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought that it might be somewhat difficult finding racial and gender stereotypes in the media, but as you said, it was not. They are so prevalant, but so mainstream that the average person doesn't realize they are watching stereotypes. Just as you said above, also, the media over-playing the stereotypes just reinforces the ideas and it does shape their opinions about other races and the opposite gender. Once you start talking about stereotypes in the media, they are a lot easier to spot, because you are looking for them. But as our instructor said in class, media and advertisers are only about one thing and that is making big money. So they will produce anything that makes the most amount of money and if that is women barely dressed holding a beer, then they print it and don't think twice. I take offense with both racial and gender stereotypes because they are both condescending toward human beings. But I'm glad we have this class offered as an elective so that we can all learn how to avoid racial and gender stereotyping and hopefully reform the future of media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with Ashley and Rachel that I thought this assignment might be somewhat hard. I too knew their would be an abundance of stereotypes used in advertising but thought I might have a problem finding examples in other forms of medium and even personal conversations. I like what Ashley said at the end of her blog about her teachers comments on a young child who watches more television is more likely to have self-image issues and low self-esteem. I luckily have never really had an issue with low self-esteem or image issues which being a girl I know a lot of girls struggle with. It may have a lot to do with the fact that I never really watched tv growing up, whatever the reason I am extremely grateful for that. I look at magazines and watch tv today and it makes me scared to raise to children especially girls because its a parents battle versus a million in the media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with ashley when she said that she thought this assignment was going to be hard. I thought I would have to hunt for different aspects of gender and race issues but it was actually quite easy. The news, commercials, advertisements, sitcoms that we watch daily but just don't pay attention to the little details, are all embedded with gender and racial stereotypes. As Ashley also said, the gender stereotypes are what really get me mad. They are a lot more prominent than we realize and it is. I also agree with Ashley on how the media has a huge impact on children. None of us fully realize the impact it has on their self image and the opinions and thoughts that they develop but it truly does. If a child sees their favorite movie star doing or saying something then they automatically think they need to do or think like that to be "cool" or to be like that movie star. This is especially prevalent in little girls because they are so self conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too watched some of the Black to the Future program on VH1. As a African-American male, it is hard to over look the fact that in order for a black person to be successful in life he/she has to be some sort of an athete or entertainer. I am thankful to have a family filled with neither, but a family who have good jobs outside of that stereotype. I think its all about money and the fastest way to get it and what you see in the media is a negative aspect on that. What people need to realize is that what they see on tv is not always the truth, you can be successful in life outside of those stereotypes. Not that there is anything wrong with being an athete or entertainer but in order for people to stop stereotyping african-americans need to stop selling themselves short.
    As far as gender stereotyping, you are right we are always exposed to things that we watch and enjoy on tv. Having said that, its like our whole society evolves around sex, whether its images on tv or clothes that we wear. Our society is based on the image that we have to better ourselves by looking better by any means necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's funny that you mention The Daily Show stereotyping Hilary Clinton. The media had a field day over Clinton and Governor Palin. They portrayed two very distinct types of women. Palin was beautiful and dumb, and Clinton was powerful so she must be manly. I think it's funny how it was very rare that either were looked at as strong, intelligent women who stood up for what they believed it. Intelligence is not profitable, so the media garnered ratings by pointing out the negative stereotypes of women.

    I also think it's funny how this assignment was difficult, but privilege was much harder to see at first because many people didn't feel that it affected them. I think we take things personally that we have come in contact with. As a female I notice gender stereotypes everyday, but seeing privilege was a lot harder because I had never thought to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the richness of this conversation was great. I am glad to see that the assignment was not as hard as you expected and it was a learning opportunity.

    ReplyDelete